Niter Kibbeh RecipeCourse: Base IngredientCuisine: EthiopianDifficulty: Intermediate
Niter Kibbeh is one of the most essential ingredients in almost all authentic Ethiopian foods. And while it is readily available for sale (you can buy it right here from our shop), it is a lot of fun making your own!
1 lb unsalted butter
2 cloves of coarsely chopped garlic
1 chopped small yellow onion
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp whole allspice berries
1 tsp dried oregano
6 black cardamom pods (crushed lightly with a knife blade)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, while swirling occasionally.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, onions, allspice berries, fenugreek, oregano, turmeric, and cardamom, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the butter is clear and the milk solids remain on the bottom of the pan, for about 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low if the butter is boiling too quickly. Don’t let it burn, because then it will taste bitter.
- To finish the niter kibbeh, line a strainer with dampened cheesecloth.
- Skim the foam from the top of the butter and discard. Ladle the butter through the strainer, leaving behind the milk solids on the bottom of the pan.